Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A Challenge. Or Goal, if you will.

I'm an underachieving overachiever.

Yes, I know it's an oxymoron. Let me explain through a typical example of how my mind works:

After making grandiose proclamations of "I'm going to book 100 weddings in 100 days!" or "I'm totally going to buy a new camera body for $2,000+!", I quickly become overwhelmed trying to reach these nonsensical and far over-reaching goals and give up any hope of reaching them.

To nip this self-destructive habit in the bud, I decided to try a different approach: creating a list of photography biz to-dos. I work really well with lists - if I can cross off action items I have a sense that I've actually accomplished something. Even if they're small (like, "Comment on two photo blog/discussions this week"), over time they do add up. At my full-time job, I have about three different lists going at one time to keep my projects organized, and it works wonders for my productivity.

It ain't fancy, but it does the job!

As they say: slow and steady wins the race!

No comments:

Post a Comment