Saturday, May 12, 2012

Mastering the Art of Pet Photography.

I absolutely love capturing my cats doing cute and silly things, as I'm sure you've seen as you've been reading this blog. However, for most pet photos, I prefer to not use the flash when photographing them - cat eyes especially don't photograph well in artificial light.

So, in order to get a decently exposed photo of the kittehs, I typically use the natural light that comes streaming in through our windows. This is all fine and dandy, except that animals, unless professionally trained (which mine and most others' most definitely are not) will probably not strike a pose or remain in place for very long. This is particularly true for Sokka, who we're convinced has feline ADD.

Although I've been able to capture some wonderful photos of pets (mine included), I would become frustrated when a vast majority of the photos turned out blurry because I couldn't crank the shutter as high as I would have liked. That, and because the fluffballs just wouldn't.sit.still!

I put on my blinged-out thinking cap, convinced there was a solution within the confines of my camera body that would fix this near-constant dilemma.

Hmmmm...what about increasing the ISO?

First, a bit of background: In the past I've made the mistake of cranking up my ISO, which resulted in graininess in the photos - not so easy to fix in Photoshop. Not wanting to repeat past mistakes, my ISO hasn't budged past the 200 mark since.

When I attempted to get some "money" shots of the cats the other day, and once again came away with blurry/out-of-focus photos, I finally had it. I increased the ISO to 800, increased the shutter, and prayed to God a miracle would occur.

The result? It worked like a charm - I literally skipped around the living room in excitement, simultaneously thwumping myself on the head that I didn't think of this obvious solution sooner.

And now, the results of the fruits of my labor, starring Pumpkin!



P.S. - I wasn't able to test it on Sokka, since he was off napping (slacker!). We'll save that challenge for another time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment